Sealing a Juvenile Criminal Record

Sealing a record prevents the public from being able to view it, though the record remains in government databases. The process of sealing a record in Washington is very different if your conviction was for an adult charge or a juvenile charge.

Juvenile records can be sealed under Washington law as long as a sufficient amount of time passed without being convicted of a new charge. When a court seals a juvenile record it also vacates your conviction, meaning your conviction is actually removed and then the record is sealed. Even if you have been convicted of another charge as an adult or a juvenile, there is still a very good chance that a court will agree to seal your juvenile record.

Contact us today to discuss your case.

[email protected]

To prevent spam...
What comes after January?

Here are some basic guidelines to determine if you are eligible to have a juvenile record sealed:

  • If you were convicted of a misdemeanor or Class B or C felony you must generally wait 2 years after your conviction with no new convictions.
  • If you were convicted of a Class A felony you must generally wait 5 years. If you are convicted of a new charge during that time, the waiting period restarts.
  • You also need to pay any restitution or fines outstanding.
  • You must not currently be involved in a diversion agreement.
  • Sex offenses may have other requirements as well.


Sealing a juvenile record is one of the most powerful tools that the law provides for record clearing, if you have a conviction from before the age of 18 you should definitely ask if you qualify for this procedure. There may be reasons why you are not eligible to seal your juvenile record and you should speak with an experienced attorney to determine whether you are likely to qualify.

Need more information regarding sealing juvenile records?


Website Design